Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dentist

Last week I took Jacob to the orthodontist to get his braces on.  Alex was with me and was completely enthralled with the whole process and kept saying to me, "Braces, me too, pees mama."  Today I took Alex to his first dentist appointment.  He told Mammie he was going to the dentist and informed her he was getting braces. 

Grandma Sipherd told me a few years ago how she prepared Adam's dad for his first visit to the dentist, so I used a similar approach with Alex.  I got a small spoon and told him it was like the mirror the dentist was going to use and I also got a fork and said it was like a pick.  Then I had him lay down on the couch and open his mouth.  I put the spoon in his mouth against his cheek and used the fork to tap and pick at his teeth.  He kept asking for more.

When we got to the dentist he walked in and said hello.  After playing with the buttons for the chair he climbed up and was ready.  The hygienist showed him all the tools and asked if she could put them in his mouth.  He was very excited.  She asked if he wanted cotton candy toothpaste or strawberry.  I am pretty sure all he heard was candy and he immediately exclaimed, "cotton candy!"  He put the head phones on for the TV and settled back.  I am pretty sure he took it as another pampering time.  He loved every minute of it, from the teeth picking to the electric tooth brush to the flossing. 


Thanks to a phone picture blogger will not accept a rotated photo!
 
When we were walking out he looked in the mirror and smiled and he said, "Awww, no braces" in a very disappointed voice.

1 comment: